10 ways to enhance your yard design with water
For many homeowners, the ideal yard is a peaceful retreat from the bustle of everyday life. A lush green lawn, blooming flowers and shady trees are just the beginnings of the perfect yard’s enticements. Many people will include a deck with a grill and a hot tub.
However, one of the best ways to enhance any yard is through the addition of water features. Incorporating water into your yard design can be completed with one simple weekend project. On the other hand, other water features may require weeks of effort. You may choose to do the work yourself or hire a professional to do it for you. No matter which route you choose, adding a water feature is a great way to turn your home into a peaceful, relaxing escape. Consider enhancing your home’s outdoor space using one of these ideas:
1. Build a Water Fountain. Don’t be intimidated. This is a super easy project requiring only a few items. Pick up a planter at the local nursery or use one that you already own. With a small pond pump and some pretty rocks, you have just about everything you need. Plug the planter’s hole, install the pump and surround it with rocks. Add some plants to switch up the look. In no time, you’ll be listening to the water tripping musically over the rocks.
2. A Pond in a Box. This above ground pond is easy to construct and makes great sense for homeowners with little square footage. You can add a trellis and fountain to the design or keep things simple with the pond alone. Choose some weather resistant wood at the hardware store, an appropriately sized liner and a pond pump. You’ll need some basic woodworking tools and know how, but this water feature is a snap to install and you don’t have to dig a hole.
3. Backyard Waterfalls. The emphasis on this project isn’t so much on a body of water as it is on the fall. You’ll need a hole that will be lined with EPDM rubber and you’ll need to acquire some stones. With a pump and beautiful stones, you’re well on your way to creating a waterfall.
4. Garden Stream. Water can bring sound and movement to the garden, and this project can be an easy one when you use a preformed shell from a pond supply store. Add a pump and a little creativity to make this stream a reality.
5. Water Gardens. For this project, you’ll fill a pond with plants and fish to create an enticing garden spot. Choose a variety of water plants for different colors, textures and shapes.
6. Bamboo Fountains. Take inspiration from soothing Japanese gardens by building your own bamboo water feature. If you have a pond, use this as your starting point. If not, then you must dig a pond. The good news is that it can be quite a small one. With bamboo and a pump, your bamboo fountain will be functioning in no time.
7. Wildlife Ponds. Those with an existing pond will find this extremely easy. Choose a combination of aquatic plants, oxygenators and bog plants to place in and around the pond. Entice wildlife like hummingbirds, butterflies and deer with additional bright, edible plants.
8. Reflecting Pools. Still waters run deep, and they provide a soothing, calming aspect to your yard. These gorgeous accent pieces from Backyard Ocean can be used anywhere in the yard, garden or patio area and bring an immediate serenity to the outdoors.
9. Boulder on Boulder. Sometimes the simplest designs are the best. Two boulders, one resting partially on the other with some copper tubing between them is a beautiful accent. The boulders typically rest on a bed of pretty gravel where the water can drain and be collected for reuse.
10. Rain Chain Fountain. This innovative design usually involves a container and a chain fountain. It can be placed in the garden or on the deck to create a relaxing atmosphere. The water delicately cascades into the container along the chain’s length, creating a lovely sound and an eye-catching focal point in any yard.
- Five Steps To Planning And Implementing Your Backyard Renova...
- Pool Safety for Kids: What Parents Need to Know Before Summe...
- 3 Areas To Start First When Getting Your Yard Ready For The ...
- Landscaping Features That Will Increase The Value Of Your Ho...
- 8 Things to Consider for Selecting the Proper Tree Service
- 5 Ways To Make Your Backyard Your Vacation Hot Spot
- How to Turn Your Conservatory Into a Getaway for Rest and Th...
- How To Make Your Garden Everything You've Dreamed of